
From the moment we arrived at Ban Natoe, I was absolutely intrigued by how flawless and beautiful one of the teachers skin was. What was his secret? For days I have watched him work rest and eat (not stalking of course) looking for a clue to what seems to be a perfect completion. Was it the curry? Maybe the red sandy dust mixed in with the constant ash floating in the air? Whatever it was, I was going to find it. We have formed tight relationships with both the students and teachers here; Peter suggested that we write our next blog entry about someone who we would like to get to know a little more in depth. Sam was someone who I noticed right away as someone special. Born in Myanmar, Sam moved here when he was three years old escaping the war. He was accepted into one of the hill tribes and hasn’t left. A contractor, gardener, farmer, cook, and teacher, Sam is quite a valuable person here in Ban Natoe. I asked him why he thinks he is so well respected and he feels that it is because of his willingness to model what he teaches. If he is not out in the heavy rain turning the soil, how does he expect his students to comply? When asked what he is most proud about in his life, he responded by saying how much he loves his job, and loves to learn; education is central to his being. As one of the initial teachers here at the school, he has taken ownership in the success of this centre. Proud, yet very humble, Sam strives to give back to the land that saved his life. As for his perfect skin, he claims genetics. I don’t believe him.
Erica
No comments:
Post a Comment