Sunday, April 11, 2010

So much more than "relief"

The kids are still certainly having a great time, despite the heat and the hard work. They have interacted so well with the Thai students and it really is amazing what you can do not knowing a language. Every night the kids play language games (English and Thai) and they really are having genuine fun! It is unfortunately surprising the fun you can have when you are given permission to play. You really don't need to be entertained all the time. I feel a little guilty thinking that our students will benefit more from us being here than the other way around. The project wouldn't exist without us, however, it is now clear that the project is only a vehicle for all the other valuable necessary learning opportunities. Some of the words that come to mind when I think of the things we will bring home are: simplicity, family, relationships, unorganized fun, appreciation, and gratitude. I think that these are the complex layers that are starting to show through as part of this "relief" project. I will officially retire that word "relief" as I don't believe that it defines what we are doing here accurately. We are not "relieving" people from a desperate life, we are showing them that we do care about what they do here, that their culture is special, and that broadening perspectives is important. As Peter has said to me, "a hand up rather than a hand out".

No comments: