Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Stuff taken for granted


There are things at home that we take for granted. We know this. However, there are some commodities which we have that we do not know how valuable they are. One of these is water. Before coming to Thailand I would take a 15-minute shower without ever thinking about the waste. Here in Ban Natoe we do not have the kind of showers we have at home. First of all there is no hot, or even warm, water. Second, instead of a shower, we have a huge bucket (a garbage can, really) filled with freezing cold water. In order to shower I take a small bucket, fill it with the water, and pour it all over myself. I actually get an adrenaline rush from the cold water. My showers here last at most 5 minutes. Also, in the house where the girls are staying we never know when the taps will be working, so every drop of water we can get to fall in the sink gets put to some use. The thing is, even though we are using about a quarter of the water we use at home, my hair still gets washed, my teeth still get brushed and my body is still as clean as ever. This just shows me how extremely valuable water is. I can tell you one thing. I won’t be taking 15-minute showers any more.

Jenna

No comments: